As of September 2018, 10 years after we brought the sheep paddock, Queensberry Gardens (LazyDog®) Wines & Garden Restaurant is the final stage in our ambition to be self-supporting on a rural Central Otago property.
Bringing the physical wine-making home to our site, for the 2019 vintage, is a natural progression as we move to the final stages of a project that started over 13 years ago.
Friends retired after 25 years of restaurant operation in February 2018 and released to us the refrigeration units we needed to start a small winery on-site. We purchased barrels and Dean made the VCR tanks in between cooking our guest’s fillet steaks and wine platters.
All manner of pumps, hoses, and specialist wine making equipment was ordered and we pretended not to notice the dramatic effect on our bank balance.
The roof structure is assembled, concreted in and will receive its cladding in time for the 2019 vintage.
In the 2018 vintage we took 6.5 tonnes of grapes from our vineyards and made 7 wines on our own premises, under the strict direction and “hands-on” participation of our long term wine consultant and friend Jeff Sinnott:
- Queensberry Wines® – “Reserve” Chenin Blanc
- Queensberry Wines® – “Barrel Fermented ” Chenin Blanc
- LazyDog® – “Queensberry” Chenin Blanc
- LazyDog® – “Sweet on Chenin” Later Harvest Chenin Blanc
- LazyDog® – “Chenin Over a Barrel” Chenin Blanc
- LazyDog® – “Shady Lady” Rose
- LazyDog® – “Blown Away” Gewürztraminer